Monday, March 9, 2009

Stashing 2 . . .

The February spinning guild meeting featured a trunk show by the owner (also a guild member) of Scarlet Fleece. Yummy fiber and yarns galore. I stocked up on some of her hand painted wool roving and splurged on 2 bags of natural grey cashmere (from Kathy's own flock). Scrumptious!

At the meeting I was also given a bag of Gulf Coast wool. Each year the guild goes to Meadow Farm near Richmond to participate in spinning and weaving activities, including a "sheep-to-shawl" demonstration. Since the farm portrays an 1860s era operation, we will be dressed in period-appropriate clothing while we work. This is obviously a first for me since I've just joined, so we'll see what happens. Meanwhile my assignment is to make an item from the wool I was given. (Gulf Coast Native Sheep are among the rare breeds and Meadow Farm has a flock of them.) So I've got the wool carded, spun, dyed, and am in the process of knitting a hat. That bit of stash didn't last long!
Now I just have to make my dress. Heh! I think I prefer 18th century costuming over 19th. A co-worker who does some Civil War reenacting showed me a nice (and historically accurate) layered box pleating method that is -- how shall we say -- more flattering (to my butt!) than cartridge pleats. And easier, too. I guess the whole thing won't be too bad; it's the lack of familiarity with 19th century style that puts me off.
That's mostly it on the stashing for awhile. Unless I win the lottery.




No comments: