Saturday, March 7, 2009

Stash Enhancement!

Never mind that my current stash (beads and fibery things) probably exceeds my life expectancy; I'm continually on the prowl for MORE!!!

Sadly, given the current state of my economy and the estimate for dental work that I got in the mail Saturday, I will have to go on a No-Fiber Diet for the forseeable future. Oh, but that's not as bad as it sounds (she keeps telling herself). I'll have one more installment of my FatCatKnits fiber -- prepaid. I'll be participating in a sheep-to-shawl demonstration next month -- free. I'm signed up for an Anne Fields 3-day spinning workshop at the end of April -- budgeted. And -- get this -- I've already started the "diet" by NOT going to the Mid-Atlantic Quilt Show last weekend. I have no resistance for these sorts of things; I knew going would result in buying. Instead I stayed home and enjoyed my stash by spinning this:


It's the roving I got from the FatCatKnits fiber club in January. The Easter-egginess turned into some nice stuff. I was hesitant to spin it because it seemed so NOT ME, but I must 'fess up that I do like it very much. 3.6 ounces turned into 485 yards. A light fingering weight that is about as fine as I am capable of spinning at this point. It will most likely become a lacy spring scarf.

Now there is FatcatKnits #2 to debate upon. A riot of deep, rich colors in superwash Bluefaced Leicester and a dollop of glitz for fun.
I'll have to think on what I want to do with this one. Lots of possibilities.
In December I joined Clotho's Children Handspinners Guild (Richmond, VA). I had thought about joining a spinning group back when I first started spinning. The local group (Williamsburg) only meets on a weekday morning, thus eliminating those of us who are working at that time. So I forgot about it for a while. So I was playing around on Ravelry and just happened to look at the New Groups section on the same day as one of the Clotho's members started a group. I checked it out and went to the December meeting. I was hooked! I cannot say enough good things about these people. Their enthusiasm is contagious. They are friendly, generous, intelligent, talkative, good cooks --their wealth of knowledge is astounding -- and if that's not enough, try sitting in a circle of 30 or 40 people all spinning! Amazing.
I've more to tell, but my pillow is calling. Daylight Saving Time.

No comments: