Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Yummerino goes on . . .

Tonight sees the second batch of Amy all clean and drying. I decided to do something besides falling asleep in my chair during Wheel of Fortune (sad, eh?) so cranked the water heater up when I got home from work. Two laundry bags of Amy and three lingerie bags with some other merino I'd already washed and drum carded. The batts still felt greasy, so I thought I'd try giving them a hot soak along with Amy. It worked just fine in the lingerie bags. I unrolled two of the batts and left one rolled up. I was careful not to agitate or shock them. I am always afraid of ending up with felt. Lucky so far. The batts look fine and not greasy any more.
One more session should see my wool all clean. I've one more laundry bag of Amy to scour and four more merino batts to degrease.



So here's a goofy project I found on greatballsofyarn.com's free patterns. The scan is a bit wonky, but it's going to be a scarf. The center section is seed stitch and each side has squiggly bits made by casting on and then binding off. I've seen similar scarves before and thought they were cute. Anyway, my friend Jennifer gifted me this skein of yarn some time back and I've been trying to find a pattern the would show off the texture. The yarn is Shaeffer "Elaine" in the Diane Fosse colorway. I've started and frogged 3 different patterns so far, but this one's a keeper. The yarn is a delicious muddle of jungly greens and the texture is thick 'n' thin bulky spiral. Today marks the halfway point of the 300 yard skein. The scarf is looking to be 4 + feet long -- a nice manageable length -- and promises to be warm and cozy. I recently did a scarf search when the weather got really cold.

  • One lovely lace (Docouer -?- et soie). Not exactly warm and cozy. Also too long and skinny.
  • One I wove several years ago of ??? yarn. Probably a mix of whatever I had at the time, acrylic, wool, whatever. Scratchy to the max and stiff.
  • And one nice velvety faux cashmere that's lovely but not an everyday scarf.

Period.

That's pretty sad for a fiber junkie. I've gifted several scarves, but don't have one for myself. This is gonna be mine, all mine! So now I'm gonna go knit and watch my wool dry.

No comments: