Friday, February 24, 2012

It's 5 o'clock somewhere!

...so we have had the adventure of our lives touring New Zealand for three glorious weeks, two of those by motorcycle. Wow. Just, wow.



Thanks to Colleen Griffin, our touring companion and new friend, for this and several more great photos!

The roofers came yesterday to replace the aging shingles on our house. OK. But the weather was absolutely gorgeous. Sunshine, temps in 70s.

So? What's the big deal?? Go riding, everyone says! Hmmmm. It's about the dumpster that's blocking the garage door. No way to get the bikes out. Bummer. All the pounding and thumping was bad enough, but now I can't ride to get away, either. Thought I'd go for a good long walk for some fresh air and sunshine, but got about 200 yards down the road and my good ol' knee started chirping. Visions of myself writhing in pain in a ditch somewhere alongside the road . . . Back home. Putzed around the house a bit and took John's pickup (the only vehicle not blocked in) to go to Stitch'n'Bitch to knit with friends. Meanwhile the roofers were finished and quiet prevailed.

When I got up this morning I fully expected to hear the rumble of the truck coming to remove the dumpster, but such was not to be. There it sat.
We continued our morning routine and headed out to the Y for aqua aerobics, hoping that IT would be gone when we got back. NOT.
After a friendly phone call, the truck arrived, and at last we were FREE!!!

Now it's 1 o'clock in the afternoon. Sun is shining for all its worth, temp is 82F. My cycle is in the driveway and I am geared up, helmet in hand.

John's. Bike. Won't. Start.

Battery is totally dead, to the point it won't even jump start off the car.

There is an unwritten rule with us that we don't ride (for pleasure) alone. I could have gone on by myself for a ride, and I wanted to go so badly that it hurt. For a moment.

So I am sitting on our deck, seriously savoring the sunshine, which is quickly deteriorating into what is promised to be some (severe) storms. the wind is picking up and I can see clouds, so I assume that (for once) the weatherman is right.

A couple of brandy manhattans later, I'm signing off.

F%#k the sun. F€¥k the yardarm. It's 5 o'clock somewhere.

CHEERS!!!



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPod Touch

No comments: